Sunday, March 6, 2011

Mark it off-- #18 Work at a soup kitchen

I have had several people ask me how I was progressing with my list of 25 things to do while 25, and before now I have not been able to mark anything off of my list. I have just been doing a lot of planning. I am very excited to announce I can mark off my first item off of my list. Scratch off number

18. Serve a meal at a soup kitchen.
Date: March 6, 2011
Where: Embasy Of Hope (1316 West Webster)
Who did I attend with: The lovely Becca Jantz

I have always wanted to volunteer for something like this, but so far most of the opportunities have always come at a bad time. I love people and I honestly believe we show our love for God by how we love those around us. I definitely have a heart for these kinds of ministries and was very excited about putting my faith into action.

I rode with Jantzey to the location and made her pose for this picture in the freezing cold so I would have proof that this happened. So, after we finally got my camera to cooperate she warned me of the craziness that would greet us as we entered the door. I happen to thrive on such an atmosphere so I was looking forward to it. As we walked in we greeted the ladies cooking the food in the kitchen, and met the man who organizes this ministry. As we walked into the main area I was surprised to already see a crowd of people sitting at the tables, especially since it was around 10:30 and lunch would not be served until noon or later.

We quickly went to work counting out bags that would be filled with groceries for those who came to the meal.  As we were doing so a random guy kept trying to chat me up, but I was having difficulty counting and focusing on what he was saying. Yes, he was trying to be flattering but it was a rather awkward way of doing it.  I just tried to be friendly but not too friendly, because I could tell the slightest bit of approval would only result in way more awkwardness than even I can handle. After we counted out the bags  and safely deterred my new friend, we then met for the volunteer meeting and got our assignments for the rest of the day. Jantzey and I agreed to be servers, so after the message we would help distribute the meat loaf, mash potatoes, gravy, and salad that was being prepared in the kitchen. After we left the meeting their was a short devotion and several people came up to be prayed for. It was such a neat atmosphere having the volunteers talking  and praying with the wide cast of characters that was assembled.

 After the meal we got everything set up to serve the meal. I got my cafeteria lady on and served the mashed potatoes and Jantzey expertly added the gravy. It was weird to see that quantity of any food, as I placed it on the plates after a while my mind could not even recognize that it was food. Who can imagine 50 lbs of potatoes, sorry that is a side note-- you get it there was a lot of potatoes and food. After the meal was served and everyone got seconds who wanted them we helped clean up and then prepared to give out the bags of groceries. As we handed out the groceries I smiled and talked with people as they waited their turn. There were so many really nice people and it made my heart glad that we could give them a little bit of help. After all the bags were handed out we picked up and headed out.

I am so glad that I was able to help this organization. It was a great experience and I think I liked so much I will try to do this once a month. I think it was nice to get out of my comfort zone and really focus on the greater good that is going on around me. I may just be one person, but God can take a willing heart and able body and use it to be an ambassador of God's love. 

Stay tuned as I mark more things off of my list. 25 is going to be a great year for me I can just feel it!

XOAT

No comments:

Post a Comment