Sunday, February 6, 2011

Check out my new reads--

I got two new books for my birthday and I am so excited to read them both.

TIP IT!- By Maggie Griffin
I am so excited to read this book. Thank you Ben and Eirick I loved watching my life on the D-list and I had been wanting to read this. It is gonna be a great poolside read for sure! All I need is my favorite boys and a summery drink to complete an epic day at the pool.

Dear Readers,
There are at least five good reasons to Tip It! right now.
1.  My daughter Kathy put out her memoir last year, which was real nice except for the controversial parts. And it got to be a #1 New York Times bestseller. Congratulations, Kathleen! But now it's my turn. I've written my own book. I have things to say, too, without having to be all controversial like you were. Tip it!


2.  People recognize me on the street a lot now and come over, nicely, and say "Maggie, you remind me of my own mother." And they say "Maggie, I love your show"--referring to Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List as my show. Sometimes I correct them, I say, "Oh, it's not my show." But sometimes . . . I don't correct them. It's kind of fun being a star, isn't it? Tip it!


3.  If you want to know a few things about my daughter Kathleen that only a mother could know (How the heck did she get this way? Did she always swear so much, for Chrissake?), you have come to the right book. Tip it!


4.  You know how a box of wine is never empty just because the spigot seems to have run dry? (There's always a little more if you just tip it!) This book is like that. There's so much in it--never-before-published Griffin family photos!, a love story (me and my dear departed husband Johnny), a whole guide to good living (including how to survive on what's in your purse), and a lot of funny business in this book from Kathleen (she made comments in this book; readers, I was not able to stop her!). So take this book and Tip It!


5.  And be sure to get the last drop out of living. Isn't it nice that "Tip It" acts as a toast? I'm 90 years old, and I think "Tip It!" even works pretty well as a motto for living to the fullest. So, Tip It! today.


Yours,
Maggie Griffin

The Year of Living Biblically- By A.J. Jacobs
I have been hearing about this book and it seems like it is going to be really funny. I think growing up reading some of the Old Testament passages I am interested to see how this guy accomplished it. Thank you Emily for the book.



Make no mistake: A.J. Jacobs is not a religious man. He describes himself as Jewish "in the same way the Olive Garden is an Italian restaurant." Yet his latest work, The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible, is an insightful and hilarious journey for readers of all faiths. Though no fatted calves were harmed in the making of this book, Jacobs chronicles 12 months living a remarkably strict Biblical life full of charity, chastity, and facial hair as impressive as anything found in The Lord of the Rings. Through it all, he manages to brilliantly keep things light, while avoiding the sinful eye of judgment. --Dave Callanan

No comments:

Post a Comment